General Writing and Grammar Help/None of my brothers ever remember____

Question
Dear Ted:

Do you say, "None of my brothers ever remember my birthday" or "None of my brothers ever rememberS my birthday"?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

**** Traditionally, the verb had to be in agreement with the subject, "none."  "None" is singular, so the correct verb is "rememberS."

However, due to common [and incorrect] usage the plural form has become acceptable, since "brothers" is plural.  I do NOT agree, because "of my brothers" is a prepositional phrase, and the object of the preposition "brothers" cannot have a subject.

So, either is "acceptable," but "rememberS" is correct.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt