General Writing and Grammar Help/Call someone - call someone over

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there a difference between "to call someone" and "to call someone over"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** CALL SOMEONE -- Generally used when a person is making a telephone call to another person.
You can also say CALL TO SOMEONE, if you see the person near you and you "yell" to him.

EXAMPLES:

Janet called Jim [on the phone] to tell him she could not meet him to study.

When Janet saw Jim across the street, she CALLED TO HIM.

*** CALL SOMEONE OVER -- Used when you want someone to meet you or to join your group.

Janet called the new student over to her group's lunch table.

** Paolo, you can also say "call someone over the telephone," but I think that is too obvious. Just use "call someone."

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt