General Writing and Grammar Help/Take hold of oneself

Question
Dear Ted:

What does "to take hold of oneself" mean?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use this phrase correctly?

Also, is it possible to "GET hold of oneself"?

If so, does it have the same meaning as "to take hold of oneself"?

Finally, what other verbs can be used with ".....hold of oneself"? Maybe "grab"?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** Paolo, here is my answer for your questions:

"Take hold of oneself" is usually written as "Take hold of YOURSELF."  Someone is telling YOU to take control of your emotions, to settle down, to be patient.

Here's a definition and some examples I found in an online forum:

It means pull yourself together, gather your wits, take control.

SYNONYMS:

Pull yourself together and get hold of yourself:
when we want to tell someone to control himself; not to get angry; to behave himself; not to lose his head

'Pull yourself together/get hold of yourself/get a grip (on yourself)' are indeed interchangeable as they all mean 'control your emotions' or 'calm down'.          

EXAMPLES:

A man takes his wife by the shoulders and shakes her, saying, "You must take hold of yourself."

After the gunman left the classroom, the frightened students gradually began to take hold of themselves.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt