General Writing and Grammar Help/Last, lastly, etc.

Question
Dear Ted:

Should I use "last, "lastly," "last thing," "The last thing," "One last thing" or "Finally" in the following sentence?

Last/Lastly/Last thing/One last thing/The last thing/Finally I would like you to explain is the difference between X and Y.

If all three are possible, do they mean the same thing?

Also, would you please give me some other examples of the six of them used in the same way as above?

BTW, is it correct to say, "the six of them"? And is it "Last thing" or "The last thing"?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** All SIX of them are possible, and they mean the same thing.

*** After a series of things:

Last, do not forget to bring pencils to the exam.

Lastly, do not forget to bring pens to the exam.

Last thing on the agenda is the finance report.

One last thing to mention is the attendance reports.

The last thing we must do is clean up the room.

Finally, after we have done everything else, we must submit a report of all the work we have done.

*** Paolo, "last thing" is very casual.  The best way is to use "One last thing" or "The last thing."

**** "Last thing" is just the abbreviated form of "The last thing."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt