General Writing and Grammar Help/Get & take your life back

Question
Dear Ted:

Do you say, "to GET your life back" or "to TAKE your life back"?

If both are possible, do they mean the same thing?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

I am sorry that I haven't answered sooner.  Your question did not arrived in my inbox.  Allexperts sent me a notice that I had not answered it.

*****

If not, when should I use each of them?

*** Their meanings are similar, but there is a difference between the two.

"GET your life back" is passive.  Someone else gave you another chance at life.  You did
not earn it yourself.

EXAMPLES:

After many treatments with chemotherapy, Susan's cancer went into remission; thus, she GOT her life back.

The unjustly accused and imprisoned man was pardoned by the governor.  He GOT his life back.

"TAKE your life back" is active.  YOU did the actual "taking."

EXAMPLES:

John stopped his heavy drinking habit and TOOK his life back.

After years of an unhappy marriage, Jane divorced her unfaithful husband.  Thus, she TOOK her life back and is now living happily.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt