General Writing and Grammar Help/I have looked______

Question
Dear Ted:

Do the following sentences sound good English?

I have looked up many dictionaries but I have not found the meaning of the word "XYZ."

I have looked in many dictionaries but I have not found the meaning of the word "XYZ."

If not, would you please rephrase them for me?

Also, would you please give me some alternatives?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

This will be the last question I will answer today .. . and maybe tomorrow.  The weather is getting very bad.  We are in the midst of a blizzard.

*******

**** NO.  Do not use the first one.  You have NOT looked up dictionaries.  You have looked for a WORD in dictionaries.

*** This sentence is correct.

ALTERNATIVES:

If your looking is now over, put the sentence into the past tense.  I looked in many dictionaries but did not find the meaning of the word "XYZ."

After checking in several dictionaries, I am still unable to define the word "XYZ."  [That's because it was not there.]

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt