General Writing and Grammar Help/.....and the object of the preposition "brothers".....

Question
Dear Ted:

You wrote the following:

However, due to common [and incorrect] usage the plural form has become acceptable, since "brothers" is plural.  I do NOT agree, because "of my brothers" is a prepositional phrase, and the object of the preposition "brothers" cannot have a subject.

My question is this:

Why did you call "brothers" a preposition? Isn't "Brother" a plural noun?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

I really should not be answering questions.  My entire body is aching and my eyes are blurring.  

I do NOT agree, because "of my brothers" is a prepositional phrase, and the object of the preposition "brothers" cannot have a subject.

I should have written this:

I do NOT agree, because "of my brothers' is a prepositional phrase, and the object of the preposition "of" is "brothers."  Since "brothers" is an OBJECT, it cannot be a SUBJECT.
The actual subject of the sentence is "none."  Therefore, the verb must be singular.

I apologize.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt