General Writing and Grammar Help/He's not paying for his drinks tonight

Question
Dear Ted:

Please consider the following paragraph/extract:

Let the debating begin. "The Revenant" and "Mad Max: Fury Road" cleaned up with 12 and 10 nominations, respectively. Unfortunately, for the second consecutive year, no actors of color were nominated even after last year's #OscarsSoWhite cultural commentary. Hey, Hollywood, if you need more diverse projects, here are some ideas. There were some major surprises and snubs, but not for Lady Gaga, who is one step closer to an EGOT with her nom. As for Nick Hornby, who earned a nod for his work on the screenplay for "Brooklyn"? He's not paying for his drinks tonight.

My questions are these:

1) Why is there a question mark after "Brooklyn"?

2) What does "He's not paying for his drinks tonight" mean?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S.: Is the question "Why is there a question mark after 'Brooklyn'?" correctly written/formulated?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Dear Ted:

My questions are these:

*** The question mark is there because the entire sentence is "posed" as a question, even though the words themselves are a sentence FRAGMENT, not a true sentence.  In other words, the writer is not well versed in proper grammar.

*** It means that other people will be treating him with drinks.  They will be buying his drinks as a gesture of congratulations.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt