General Writing and Grammar Help/It suits you - it fits you

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there a difference between "It SUITS you" and "It FITS you"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** Generally, both phrases mean the same thing and can be interchanged.  Both of them mean that something is appropriate for someone.  In a special sense, the phrase "it fits you" can be used to describe how well you wear an article of clothing.

EXAMPLES:

The nickname "Flash" really suits/fits Joey.

She has been described as "wavering," which fits/suits her personality, because she is constantly changing her mind.

If the shoes FIT YOU, you should buy them.

He bought a pair of pants, because they suited his taste.  Unfortunately, when the pants fell down to his ankles, he realized that they did not fit him.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt