General Writing and Grammar Help/Come upon & come into

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there a difference between "to come UPON someone/something" and "to come INTO someone/something"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** The difference is this:  COME UPON is usually a meeting or discovery by chance.  COME INTO means an entering into OR receiving something.

EXAMPLES:

When I was walking in the forest, I CAME UPON two baby deer.

Each time I COME UPON a word I do not know, I enter it and its definition into my notebook.

The homeless people were asked to COME INTO the warm shelter.

When John's aunt passed away, he CAME INTO her very large fortune.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt