General Writing and Grammar Help/You had me

Question
Dear Ted:

Would you please explain the meaning of "you had me" in the following sentence?

You had me at the proper use of "whom."

Also, would you please give me some examples of "subject + have + object" used in the same way as above?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

You had me at the proper use of "whom."

*** I recognize the statement as one recently posted at Grammarly.  

"You had me" means that you captured my attention or that you drew me to your point of view.

EXAMPLES:

Although the speaker's comments were consistently good, he had me from the very first sentence when he challenged the members of the audience to put aside their anger.

Jane fell in love with Jim from the moment they met; he had her with his good looks and pleasing personality.

Celtic Thunder had me from the very beginning of their performance, when they sang the rousing Irish anthem.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt