General Writing and Grammar Help/What have you been getting up to?

Question
Dear Ted:

Does the question "What have you been getting up to?" make sense in English?

If so, when is it used?

Would you please give me some examples?

Also, is there a difference between the above question and "What have you been up to?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** NO.  You have used the continuous form [progressive], which makes no sense.  When you want to know what a person is up to and want to use the progressive form, you must write it this way:  "What have you been doing?"

If so, when is it used?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** Actually, the sentence you just wrote is the correct form.  It's another way of asking what a person has been doing.

EXAMPLES:

What are you doing?  [present]
What have you been up to?  [present perfect]

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt