General Writing and Grammar Help/that OR which.0

Question
Hello
Hope you are fine.

Which one is correct? Please explain your reasons.

A) Peter, I apologize for not replying to your email sooner. I am busy as I am preparing a lecture THAT I have to give shortly at my University.

B) Peter, I apologize for not replying to your email sooner. I am busy as I am preparing a lecture, WHICH I have to give shortly at my University.

I think B) is correct because we are giving additional information.

Thank you
Hame

Answer
Dear Hame:

I had another eye injection on Thursday afternoon, and I am still in the recovery process.

***

*** You must ask yourself the question about how NECESSARY the additional words are to the meaning of the sentence.  If they are just providing additional information, as you suggest, then you use the comma and "which."  I agree with your judgment.

The important aspect of the statement is that you are busy preparing a lecture.  Where and when the lecture is to be given in a non-essential element.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt