General Writing and Grammar Help/The acquisitions expert.....

Question
Dear Ted:

And if I wrote the sentence in the following way:

After the usual round of questions, Ryan's concentration is tested by THE acquisitions expert, Stacey.

Would the comma be required after "the acquisitions expert"?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** The problem is that by stressing THE, you are just stressing THE.  The question you should ask yourself is "Is naming Stacey as the acquisitions experts necessary for the meaning of the sentence?"

I maintain that her name is just additional information.  It's nice to know, but it is not necessary.  The comma is necessary, because it sets off a non-restrictive element:  her name.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt