General Writing and Grammar Help/Appositives

Question
Dear Ted:

Consider the following two sentences taken from this link:

http://www.businessinsider.in/Ex-ESPN-superstar-Bill-Simmons-is-partnering-with-

1) For instance, Medium runs tech site, Back Channel, which is edited by former Wired reporter Steven Levy.

2) He has developed the Bill Simmons Media Group, which is being led by former NFL Network executive, Eric Weinberger.

**********

The situation is very confusing. As you can notice/observe, in the first sentence, the name "Steven Levy" is not preceded by a comma. In the second sentence, however, there is a comma before the name "Eric Weinberger."

Also, in the first sentence, "Back Channel" is set off with/by commas. I don't think this is correct because the noun "Back Channel" is ESSENTIAL to the meaning of the sentence.

What do you think? I have just re-read some online articles about appositives but they don't help.

By the way, is "Back Channel" a NAME or a NOUN?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

**********

**** It is confusing because the first sentence is incorrect.  Since "Steven Levy" is not set off with a comma, you can only assume that "Wired" has only one "former reported."  That assumption must be wrong.  The comma is necessary.

*** The second sentence is correctly written.

**** First, there should be "the" before "tech site."  "Tech site" is the essential information.  The name of the site is additional information.  The name is given so that the reader will have more information. The name is UNNECESSARY.

*** "Back Channel" is a name, but it is also a proper noun.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt