General Writing and Grammar Help/He begins fantasizing about.....

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following examples is correctly punctuated?

1) John sits in class, bored out of his mind. He begins fantasizing about his sexy, busty bookworm of a classmate Brandi.

2) John sits in class, bored out of his mind. He begins fantasizing about his sexy, busty bookworm of a classmate, Brandi.

In particular, is the comma needed after "classmate" and before "Brandi"?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

It's now nearly 5:00 p.m. and I'm just finishing today's questions.  I did take aspirin, used eye drops, and took a two-hour nap!

*****

*** The rule:

Is the name "Brandi" essential to the meaning of the sentence?  Can you omit her name [and the comma] and still get the full meaning of the sentence.  The name/word "Brandi" is called an "appositive."  Whether or not the appositive is necessary for the meaning of the sentence determines whether or not the comma(s) are used.

I am supposing that there is just one girl in John's class that fits the description.  Giving her name is just providing more information, but NOT information that is needed.  Do not use the comma or the name.

However, if there is more than ONE such girl in the class, then you must use the comma and the name because this is an appositive that is needed.  Otherwise, people might think that John is thinking about the sexy, busty bookworm named "Cinderella."

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/596/1/

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt