General Writing and Grammar Help/Check for

Question
Dear Ted:

Do you ever use "to check for something"?

If so, when is it used?

Would you please give me some examples?

Also, is there a difference between "to check something" and "to check for something"?

Finally, does "to check for SOMEONE" make sense?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when is it used?

Would you please give me some examples?

EXAMPLES:

The teacher checked Joe's essay for errors.

The mechanic checked the car for possible leaks in the radiator.

*** "To check something" is general.  If you "check FOR something," you are looking for a particular thing.

I took my car to the shop to have it checked.  The mechanic checked my car and found nothing wrong.

I smelled gasoline in my car.  I took it to a mechanic so that he could check for a possible leak in the gas tank.

*** In some instances, it does make sense.

I checked for Lisa's name on the guest list.

When she didn't arrive, I checked for her in many places in the hotel.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt