General Writing and Grammar Help/difference among synonymous words

Question
Hi
How are you? Hope you are fine.

Most of the time, when I am writing or speaking, I think about differences among English words which are synonyms. For example,

STRANGE, BIZARRE, PECULIAR

OR

SAD, UNHAPPY

Well, I would like to know what the differences are among synonymous words in English. I would like to know where I have to use each of them.
Are there any good websites talking about differences among synonymous words?

Thank you so much

Answer
Hame,

I find that I am unable to answer your question because a synonym means that the word means exactly or very close to the another word.  Therefore, if I could explain the differences between two words, they would not be synonyms.  Granted there may be slight (and I mean slight) variations in meaning but not to the extent that it would change the meaning of what was trying to be conveyed.  

I think this website would help you.  http://www.wordreference.com/thesaurus/

If you type in the word, it lists synonyms but also the context in which the word is used.  I think this would answer what you are curious about.

Dr. D

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess