General Writing and Grammar Help/During that time I have also written.....

Question
Dear Ted:

Consider the following statement:

I was also a tutor for the Open University between 1975 and 2010. During that time I have also written a number of books on writing and study skills.

My question is this:

Don't you think the write should have written, "During that time I also WROTE a number of books....." since that period of time is finished/over?

By the way, is it correct to call it a statement?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Consider the following statement:

My question is this:

Don't you think the write [WRITER] should have written, "During that time I also WROTE a number of books....." since that period of time is finished/over?

Yes. Definitely.  The past tense has already been established in the first sentence with "was also."  Switching to the present perfect [have also written] is a grammatical error.

*** Yes, it is.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt