General Writing and Grammar Help/emphasis

Is there a way to emphasize the word "so" in a sentence to show it as drawn out like "soooo?"

This question really crosses the line from grammar and usage, but I'll answer it anyway. The common way to do what you want is just the way you've done it here--repeat the o to correspond to the extent to which the sound is to be drawn out.

*    *    *    *

Patty, I want to thank you for your uniformly high ratings, yet I note that you have never nominated me for volunteer of the month. I'd appreciate your telling me how I might improve my answers so you might check that option.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Richard Johnson

I can answer any question--usually the same day--on correct English grammar, usage, and (non-fiction) writing style, usually the same day, based on the American practice. All answers are explained, and I encourage follow-up.

I'm a retired editor and a lifelong student of this subject. My library includes a great many works to which I've referred through the years. I currently rely primarily on the sixteenth edition of The Chicago Manual of Style.

For over 30 years I edited the newsletter of my own organization, which had different names but was last known as

BA, Brooklyn College. Advanced studies in economics and political science.

For many years a member of Mensa.