General Writing and Grammar Help/Fall ill/sick?

Question
Dear Ted:

Does "to fall ill/sick" make sense in English?

If so, does it have the same meaning as "to become sick"?

If not, when is it used?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

There is a slight difference between "to fall sick" and "to become sick."  The word "fall" suggests that the happening is a sudden onset or something that happens quickly.  There is no such sense of urgency with "to become sick."  "Becoming sick" may take minutes, hours, or days.  "Falling sick" suggests the the illness has immediately happened.

EXAMPLES:

Jennifer became sick while she was visiting Puerto Rico.  It was not until she returned home that she began to feel better.

Judge Antonin Scalia fell sick during dinner; he died in bed a few hours later.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt