General Writing and Grammar Help/Fill it up

Dear Ted:

What about "I went to the [gas] station to fill it up"?

If not, when do you use "fill it up"?

Thank you,

Dear Paolo:

*** Are you talking about the car, the gas tank, or the gallon container you keep in the car's trunk?

If you are at the station and a worker there asks if he can help you, you can respond by saying "Fill it up."  Hopefully, he will not be too stupid to misunderstand what you are saying.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt

I am the bibliographic instruction and reference librarian at a public college. Some members of the English department recommend me to their students. I offer assistance in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and paragraph development. My master`s thesis concerns William Faulkner`s tragic novels. I formerly taught advanced placement English at two schools in the Philadelphia area.

I have been one of the highest-ranked volunteers in this category for more than a decade.

B. A. and M. A in English; MSIS in Library & Information Sciences; graduate study in philosophy