General Writing and Grammar Help/And find, and to find, to find

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following sentences is correct?

1) The rodeo performer had suffered many injuries while trying to ride bulls and to rope heifers, so he decided to hang up his boots AND FIND a less painful job.

2) The rodeo performer had suffered many injuries while trying to ride bulls and to rope heifers, so he decided to hang up his boots AND TO FIND a less painful job.

3) The rodeo performer had suffered many injuries while trying to ride bulls and to rope heifers, so he decided to hang up his boots TO FIND a less painful job.

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** The first sentence is correct.  There are two infinitive phrases: to hang up AND to find.  Because you have used the conjunction "and," you do not need to repeat the second "to."

Here is the rule:

In a sentence with two infinitives connected by and, the second to is usually omitted.

e.g., I expect to swim and surf in Hawaii.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt