General Writing and Grammar Help/to give..

Hope you are fine!
Which one is correct?

"One of the most important effects of positive thinking is..... us motivation and energy to do things."

a) to give

b) giving

Thank you
Please explain your reasons

Hello Hame,

I believe in both cases that the sentences are grammatically correct.  There is a slight difference in meaning.  The use of the helping verb "is" followed by -ing conveys that the action (giving us motivation and energy) is ongoing as opposed to providing motivation and energy WHEN one thinks positively.

Hope that this makes sense as it is difficult to convey such a subtle shift in meaning.

Dr. D  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess

Essays--I can assist students with questions concerning the process of writing an essay including preparation of an outline, development of a topic, development of the thesis statement and topic sentences, and paragraph development. I can assist students in helping them determine the proper rhetorical modes for their essay (narration, illustration, description, process analysis, comparison and contrast, and argumentation. I am able to answer questions concerning rules of style for a research paper including referencing sources. I am able to address questions regarding punctuation and grammar.

I teach a writing workshop for the University of Phoenix (Richmond Campus) and two college courses: Essentials of College Writing and Elements of Composition.

Doctor of Management--University of Phoenix Masters in Human Resources--George Washington University B.A.--French and Linguistics, Oakland University