General Writing and Grammar Help/In or on Law & Order

Question
Dear Ted:

Is it "IN Law & Order" or "ON Law & Order"?

I am asking this because, in my original sentence, I wrote the following:

Jerry Orbach continued to work as detective Lenny Briscoe IN Law & Order despite THE fact that his face showed the signs of his illness.

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** Your sentence is not wrong.  The common usage in the U. S. is ON.  

EXAMPLE:

Some actors have appeared ON many television shows.  When one show is canceled, they immediately are hired to star IN another program.

**** I think that the common usage depends on the structure of the sentence.  Notice that when I used the infinitive "to star," I followed it with IN, not ON.

Mary Martin performed on Broadway IN "Peter Pan."

Tom Hanks often is a guest ON talk shows.

*** It's all the in "usage."  I can't give a better explanation than that.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt