General Writing and Grammar Help/Go past - get past

Question
Dear Ted:

What do "to GO past someone/something" and "to GET past someone/something" mean?

Is there a difference between them?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** I have been trying to answer your questions for several hours, but the Allexperts system was not working.  I hope to answer both questions now, before the system stops functioning again.

*****

Is there a difference between them?

TO GO PAST -- This phrase simply means that you travel by something, either literally or figuratively.

EXAMPLES:

I go past the bakery each morning on my way to work.

Students, we are going to go past the first four chapters of our textbook and begin our lesson with the fifth chapter.

TO GET PAST -- "Getting past" connotes doing something that is either difficult or troublesome in some way.

EXAMPLES:

The mountain climbers got past the first stage of their expedition.  They hoped to get past the next stage before the snowstorm came.

I hope to get past my current problems, so that my future will be brighter.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt