General Writing and Grammar Help/RE: Appositives

Question
QUESTION: Dear Ted:

Reconsider the sentence:

For instance, Medium runs the tech site, Back Channel, which is edited by former Wired reporter, Steven Levy.

You wrote the following:

"Tech site" is the essential information.  The name of the site is additional information. The name is given so that the reader will have more information. The name is UNNECESSARY.

My question are these:

1) Since the name of the site "Back Channel" is additional information, if I leave it out, the sentence should read like this:

For instance, Medium runs the tech site, which is edited by former Wired reporter, Steven Levy.

Does the sentence still make sense without the name "Back Channel"? Don't you think that "Back Channel" is essential to the meaning of the sentence since it clarifies/IDENTIFIES which tech site we are talking about?

2) Shouldn't the article "the" be used before "former Wired reporter"?

Thank you,

Paolo

ANSWER: Dear Paolo:

Reconsider the sentence:

You wrote the following:

My question are these:

**** 1.  You are taking this one sentence out of context.  I can only presume that the words "Back Channel" are given somewhere else in the statement or paragraph.

2.  If you feel that the name is the essential element, write the sentence this way:

Medium runs Back Channel, a tech site edited by former Wired reporter, Steven Levy.

*** You can, but it is not necessary.  For example, I can speak of former President George W. Bush.

Ted

QUESTION: Dear Ted:

Would it be equally correct to write the sentence in the following way?

Medium runs Back Channel, a tech site edited by Steven Levy, a former Wired reporter.

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Yes.  In this sentence you are using two appositives and you usage is correct.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt