General Writing and Grammar Help/RE: Library's children's department

Question
Dear Ted:

I'm sorry to get back to you with the same subject but I still need your help.

Is it a case of "the double possessive" when we have two 'S's in a phrase like in "Library's children's department"?

If so, when is it used?

Would you please give me some other examples similar to "Library's children's department"?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

EXAMPLES:

The store's women's restroom

The school's men's basketball team

Sue's aunt's jewelry

****

Paolo, I do not recommend any of these in formal writing.

Here is a note from a grammar site:

The most practical rule for writers is to avoid having two possessives in formal writing. If they occur, rewrite the sentence.

As for informal use, the double possessive is idiomatic in English and has been for a very long time.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt