General Writing and Grammar Help/Related to - relating to

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following sentences is correct?

1) Do you mind if I continue to send you questions RELATING TO idioms?

2) Do you mind if I continue to send you questions RELATED TO idioms?

If both are possible, do they mean the same thing?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** They mean the same thing.  RELATING TO is the PRESENT PARTICIPLE.  RELATED TO is the PAST PARTICIPLE.

The present participle gives the feeling of being more "today" or "up-to-date."  The past participle is used to describe things that are in the past -- that are NOT present.

The decision is yours to make.  If you have already compiled a list of idioms, then the past participle would be favored.  If you are currently making a list OR if you intend to keep adding to your list, use the present participle form.

EXAMPLES:

Today's meeting will be devoted to new issues RELATING TO the school's discipline policies.

Jennifer is collecting travel information RELATING TO her planned vacation in Ireland.

Martin had already compiled a number of essays RELATED TO the theme of his paper.

The police searched the apartment of the suspect and found several items RELATED TO the crime.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt