General Writing and Grammar Help/Get it right - make it right

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there a difference between "GET it right" and "MAKE it right"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. I trust your answers much more than those in the dictionaries. That's why I always rate them with a ten. Your help is invaluable. Thanks again for your support. Do you mind if I continue to send you questions relating to idioms? Please let me know.

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Here is my view:

GET IT RIGHT --

You are just starting to do something.  Let's say you are trying to solve a logic problem.  What you are trying to do is "get it right."  You must perform the action without any errors.

EXAMPLES:

I accepted Jim's challenge to solve the crossword puzzle, and I intend TO GET IT RIGHT.

IN ORDER TO GET IT RIGHT, you must begin you project with the best directions and the best equipment.

MAKE IT RIGHT --

This phrase suggests that something has already been done, and it has been done incorrectly.  In order to MAKE IT RIGHT, you must eliminate the errors.

EXAMPLES:

The first time I tried to bake the cake, the final product was a miserable failure.  This time, I intend to MAKE IT RIGHT.

I am going to MAKE IT RIGHT with Jane by apologizing to her and then asking her out for dinner.

Check the site below for more examples:

http://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/16874/whats-the-differences-between-get-i

*** Paolo, you may keep sending me questions related to idioms, but I hope that you would do some online research first.  You may find answers at one or more of the sites I recommended.
After all, I get many of my examples from those sites, so I am just an additional step between your questions and the sites' answers.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt