General Writing and Grammar Help/No one showed up to.....

Question
QUESTION: Dear Ted:

The following headline is taken from the online edition of the Washington Post:

No one showed up to the anti-Beyonce rally at NFL Headquarters

My question is this:

Why is it "No one showed up TO the anti-Beyonce rally....." and not "No one showed up AT or FOR the anti-Beyonce rally....."?

Thank you,

Paolo

ANSWER: Dear Paolo:

CORRECTION:  My last sentence should have been "AT or FOR IS appropriate."

Is that why you did not give me the nomination?

Ted

My question is this:

*** The Washington Post and The New York Times have been in decline for several years.  Both newspapers have laid off staff, and the result has been "sloppiness."

If the verb had been CAME, then "to" would be the proper preposition.

You are correct.  AT or FOR are appropriate.

Ted

QUESTION: Dear Ted:

I'm very sorry and disappointed that I didn't give you the nomination. When I realized that I hadn't checked the appropriate box, the page was already "gone." I tried to find a way to "nominate" you but I just couldn't go back. Sorry again for not remembering. I'll try to be more careful next time.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, would you please check if what I have written in this follow-up is correct? If not, would you please rephrase it for me? Thanks again for the help.

Answer
Dear Paolo:

QUESTION: Dear Ted:

*** Thank you for the explanation.  I thought I had done something wrong.

Paolo

*** Your message is correctly written.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt