General Writing and Grammar Help/Be sorry for someone

Question
Dear Ted:

Does the phrase "to be sorry for someone" make sense in English?

If so, when do you use it?

Would you please give me some examples?

By the way, is "to be sorry for someone" a prepositional phrase or a noun phrase?

Thank you.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when do you use it?

*** Yes, it makes sense and it is used quite frequently.  It means that you feel pity or sympathy for another person.

Would you please give me some examples?

EXAMPLES:

We all felt sorry for Jane, when her father died.

You will be sorry for treating your younger brother so unkindly.

"To be sorry for someone" means that you are sad at their loss.

*** to be sorry for someone = "to be" is an infinitive and the five words make up an
infinitive phrase.  There is a prepositional phrase, "for someone," that is part of the infinitive phrase.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt