General Writing and Grammar Help/In Stuart times, in Stuarts times or in Stuarts's times

Question
Dear Ted:

Is it "in Stuart times," "in Stuarts times" or "in Stuarts's times"?

What about "in the times of the Stuarts"?

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** You bring up an interesting dilemma because of the possessive case.

The preferred usages are "in Stuart times" and "in the times of the Stuarts."

I would NOT used the other two.

Because you are talking about a royal family, the usual possession is different.

Look at these examples:

Tsarist Russia

the Victorian period

the Elizabethan age

*** In the United States, we refer to "the Obama presidency."  The presidency of Obama and Obama's presidency are also used, but not nearly as often as "the Obama presidency."

Consider this one:  the Roman rule OR the rule of the Romans.  Most people would choose the first option.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt