General Writing and Grammar Help/Even if - even though

Question
Dear Ted:

Should I use "even if" or "even though" in the following sentence?

Brandi loves clubbing all night with her friends, even if/even though her boyfriend John hates it.

By the way, should the name "John" be enclosed within commas?

Also, is it correct to use a comma after "friends"?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the question "By the way, should the name 'John' be enclosed within commas?" correct? Thank you.

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** "Even though" is correct. You can also use "although."  There is no reason to use "if," because the clause is not an "if" situation.

*** Yes.

*** I prefer the comma.  It makes the sentence easier to read.  Other people would argue that the sentence is too short, and the comma is unnecessary.

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the question "By the way, should the name 'John' be enclosed within commas?" correct?

*** Yes.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt