General Writing and Grammar Help/Three or more nouns in a row

Question
Dear Ted:

Do you ever use three or more nouns used one after the other as in the example below taken from a British newspaper?

With the JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW opening on Saturday, here are 20 warnings for clubs who might think that splashing the cash is a guarantee of succe.....

If so, would you please give me some examples?

Thanks again your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** Using three nouns in succession is rare.  In fact, it is highly unusual, and the sentence that contains such an example most likely needs to be rewritten.

*** I found some examples of such sentences at this site:

http://www.plainlanguage.gov/howto/guidelines/FederalPLGuidelines/writeNoNounStr

Here is one of the examples:

National Highway Traffic Safety Administrationís automobile seat belt interlock rule

*** There is nothing you can do about the name of the agency.  However, the succession of automobile + seat + belt + interlock before the noun "rule," desperately needs to be edited.

Look at the examples given at the site and you will find suggestions for avoiding this problem.

Leave it to the Brits to confuse simple sentences!

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt