General Writing and Grammar Help/“What do they want of Mike Noonan?”

Question
Dear Ted,

I’ve read this sentence at the back of a book: “What do they want of Mike Noonan?”
I would have written instead: ““What do they want from Mike Noonan?”
Which one of the two options is correct, and why?

Thank you,
Leonardo

Answer
Dear Leonardo:

*** Once again, Leonardo, I agree with you.  Using "of" is "old style." Its usage is still correct, but it is not "current."

Here is a response from a grammar forum:

"Of me" is generally interpreted more like "from". It is a bit dated by now; it is best to stick with "from me".

Note that the end punctuation marks are placed AFTER the closing quotation marks.  This practice suggests that the author is British.

The answer to your question is that both are correct, but FROM is preferred.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt