General Writing and Grammar Help/Will you come.....

Question
Dear Ted:

If I want to use "Will you come.....", should I say, "Will you come TO get me?" or "Will you come AND get me?"

Regarding punctuation, in the above sentence, does the first comma (the one after "Will you come.....) go before the quotation marks or after them?

BTW, is this last question correctly written?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** Yes, the question is written correctly.  

My comment on your first question:

The addition of "to" or "and" is unnecessary.  "Will you come get me?" is a perfectly reasonable question.  "Will you come TO get me?" is acceptable.  Look at the other question, in which you are asking two things:  Will you COME and will you GET.  It is logical to assume that if one COMES, his COMING is to do the GETTING.  You do not need both.

Do NOT use "come and get."

Here is an interesting explanation of the use of the infinitive in this kind of situation:

http://www.grammarly.com/answers/questions/923-comegodo-structure/

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt