General Writing and Grammar Help/that OR which

Question
Hello
Hope you are fine.

Which one is correct? Please explain your reasons.

A) Peter, I apologize for not replying to your email sooner. I am busy as I am preparing a lecture THAT I have to give shortly at my University.

B) Peter, I apologize for not replying to your email sooner. I am busy as I am preparing a lecture, WHICH I have to give shortly at my University.

I think B) is correct because we are giving additional information.

Thank you
Hame

Answer
Hame, the answer does not depend on additional information but on whether the subordinate clause is restrictive or descriptive. In this case B is correct, because the clause introduced by "which" is descriptive--that is, it does not distinguish between this lecture and other lectures. An example of the correct use of "that" might be "I can't give both lectures because I'm already committed to the lecture in the same time slot that we discussed last week."

General Writing and Grammar Help

Richard Johnson