General Writing and Grammar Help/that OR which.

Question
Hello
Hope you are fine.

Which one is correct? Please explain your reasons.

A) Peter, I apologize for not replying to your email sooner. I am busy as I am preparing a lecture THAT I have to give shortly at my University.

B) Peter, I apologize for not replying to your email sooner. I am busy as I am preparing a lecture, WHICH I have to give shortly at my University.

I think B) is correct because we are giving additional information.

Thank you
Hame

Answer
Hello Hame,

The distinction between that and which is not as precise as it once was.  However, according to the Longman Handbook for Writers and Readers, "that" is used for clauses that provide meaning to the sentence that is essential.  "Which" is used for non-essential information.  I feel that the information is not essential.  The writer has already provided information (preparing a lecture) that gives the reason for not replying to the email.

Respectfully,

Dr. D

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess