General Writing and Grammar Help/That or which

Question
Dear Ted:

Should I use "that" or "which" in the following sentence?

This second edition comes with a CD-ROM WHICH / THAT offers practice exercises and games, audio of each word or phrase, tests and a phonemic chart for pronunciation support.

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** I would definitely use THAT.  The adjective clause beginning with "that" is necessary to the full meaning of the sentence.  It is a "restrictive" element.  If you use "which," you are saying that the clause is unnecessary [non-restrictive] and merely provides extra information.  I think that the information in the clause helps distinguish what is special about this CD-ROM.
Therefore, the clause is necessary.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt