General Writing and Grammar Help/In - for

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following sentences is correct?

1) I haven't been feeling well IN the past ten days.

2) I haven't been feeling well FOR the past ten days.

If both are possible, do they mean the same thing?

Also, is it "I HAVEN'T BEEN FEELING well....." or "I HAVEN'T FELT well....."?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** They are both correct, and they mean the same.  Many times, prepositions can be changed without changing the meaning of the phrase.  This time is one of them.

NOTE:  If you want to make the statement stronger, using "during" instead of "in" or "for."

*** Whether you use the simple or progressive form is your choice.  If you use "haven't been feeling well," the implication is that you are currently NOT feel well.  That's what the progressive form does . . . .  brings the progression to the present day.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt