General Writing and Grammar Help/I'm sorry for the delay......

Question
Dear Ted:

Suppose that today is Monday, what should I say/write, "I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I HAD a bad week" or "I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I HAVE HAD a bad week"?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

***

If you mean that LAST week is now over, I would use the first option.  However, if [on Monday]
you are thinking about the previous days, then I would opt for the second version.

Paolo, if [on Monday], you are continuing to experience the same problems you had in the
previous few days, you need to use the present progressive form, to indicate that the
problems are continuing:  I have been having a bad week.

However, if your bad week is now over and you want to emphasize that fact, you should use
the simple past tense.  I HAD a bad week.  Another way of clarifying the time period is
to write, "Last week was very bad for me."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt