General Writing and Grammar Help/What I meant to write - what I wanted to write

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following should I write in a follow-up message to you?

1) What I meant to write was this.....

2) What I wanted to write was this.....

If both are possible, do they mean the same thing?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

1) What I meant to write was this.....

2) What I wanted to write was this.....

*** The first one is correct; the second one is not.  

MEANT -- what is intended

WANTED -- what is desired

*** In this situation, you INTENDED to write one thing, but you made an error.  "What I wanted to write" means that, despite your desire to write it, you were unable to, because of unexplained reasons.  Let's suppose that you wanted to write something, but your internet connection went down or was broken.  Thus, you were unable to fulfill your desire to write.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt