General Writing and Grammar Help/Could / May

Question
Dear Ted,

I wrote the following e-mail:
“Unfortunately, no. May you please provide us an example showing where should we look?”
However, I was corrected by a colleague, who told me I should have written this:
“Unfortunately, no. Could you please provide us an example showing where should we look?”
Question: Which way is better, and why?

Thank you,
Leonardo

Answer
Dear Leonardo:

I wrote the following e-mail:
Question: Which way is better, and why?

*** I don't agree with either of you.  "May" suggests "are you willing?"  "Could" suggests "are you capable?"

Why do you need either one?  What you need to do is provide a clear and concise REQUEST:

Please provide us with an example showing where we should look.

That statement if NOT a question.  It is a request.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt