General Writing and Grammar Help/grammar

Question
dear sir, could explain to me the difference of the two sentences given?. If you could, please give me couple of examples.

01. It was raining throughout the last week.

02. It had been raining throughout the last week.    

Is the second sentence lack of something, is it connented to something being said earlier or to come later?.

Thank you very much in advanced sir. may you have a nice day ahead.

Answer
Dear Buddhi:

*** "Was raining" is the past tense continuous [or progressive] form.  The first sentence
is incorrect.  If the week has ended, as you have suggested, then you need to use the simple
past tense, indicating that the rain is over, not that it is continuing.

EXAMPLES:

It rained throughout the last week.

All last week it rained.

*** "Had been raining" is the past perfect continuous form.  You can only use this form when you are comparing TWO things that happened in the past.  Your sentence is incorrect, because
you have not mentioned the second thing.

EXAMPLES:

It had been raining until, suddenly, the skies turned blue and the sun shone brightly.

NOTE:  In my example, three things happened in the past:  the raining, the turning, and
the shining.  The EARLIEST of the three is placed in the past perfect tense [had been raining].  Since "the skies turned blue and the sun shone brightly" happened AFTER
the raining, they are put in the simple past tense -- turned and shone.

It had been raining all morning, but the raining stopped in the early afternoon and the
baseball game was played.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt