General Writing and Grammar Help/grammar

Question
dear sir, thank you very much for your previous answers again. would you be please kind enough to explain the following situations in details.

01. he would have blamed you ( I can understand this, he did not blame you )

but this situation

02. A- I saw some policemen going up and down  the road.

B- I think they would have been looking for the robbers who robbed the bank the day before yesterday. (sir can we use "would have + past participle " to give a past possibility?).

my third situation is,

I found this sentence in a book.

I gave the poor creature some fresh water, with which, If I would have let him, he would have burst himself. ( sir, is this sentence correct, because I have heard some people saying " would have + past participle " is not allowed in the if clause.

Thank you very much in advance sir.

Answer
Dear Buddhi:

*** Good.

but this situation

*** No.  You can say that they "could have been looking."  You can also say that they "might have been looking."

my third situation is,

I found this sentence in a book.

**** Here is the correct version:  If I HAD LET him, he would have burst himself."  The people who have told you about the "if clause" are correct.  In my version, "had left" is the
past perfect tense, and "would have burst himself" is "would have + past participle."

Here is a good explanation of the various uses of "would have, could have, and should have."

http://www.perfect-english-grammar.com/could-have-should-have-would-have.html

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt