General Writing and Grammar Help/I'm sorry for not writing sooner,.....

Question
Dear Ted:

What does the following example imply? Does it imply that I am still sick or does it imply that the sickness period is now over?

I'm sorry for not writing sooner, but I have been sick for the past ten days.

IN YOUR OWN WORDS, HOW WOULD YOU EXPRESS THE CONCEPT THAT I AM STILL SICK AND THE CONCEPT THAT I AM NOT SICK ANY MORE?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** The implication is that your sickness has ended.  You have stated that you have been
sick and "could not write sooner."  Since you are NOW writing, you are suggesting that you
are feeling better.

STILL SICK -- I am sorry for not writing sooner.  I have been sick for ten days, and I am
still not completely recovered.

NOT SICK -- I apologize for not writing sooner.  Although I was sick for the last ten days,
I am now feeling better.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt