General Writing and Grammar Help/word choice

Question
1.In many ways. I had no childhood at all. However, brought up in such an environment, I have become an independent young man who fears no difficulties.

(1.)    What is another way to say “In many ways” in the first sentence?

(2.)    What is another way to say “brought up in such an environment”?

“Because of my upbringing in such an environment” or what else?
(3.) What is another way to say “…have become an independent young man who fears no difficulties”?

“… have become an independent young man fearing no difficulties.” or ” have become an independent young man who is fearless of any difficulties.”?

2.Most people wear formal clothes on special or important occasions.

(1.)In the sentence, may I say “wear formally” or “are formally dressed”?

I will see you on Monday.

(2.)I wonder if “see you on Monday” can mean “see you next Monday.” What is the difference?

3.The merger will take place in April of next year.

(1.)What is the difference if I replace “in April of next year” with “next April”?

I won’t be able to get away until eight.

(2.)What can be taken in place of “get away”? “Leave” or what else?

4.Our offices are at 34 South Street.

(1.) Does it mean the same if I say, “Our offices are at No 34, South Street.”?

Please put my luggage by the door, if you can.

(2.)What is the different if I change “by” to “at”?

Answer
Dear Wei:

1.In many ways.[There should be a comma here, not a period.] I had no childhood at all. However, brought up in such an environment, I have become an independent young man who fears no difficulties.

(1.) What is another way to say “In many ways” in the first sentence?

*** Because of all the parental duties I had to perform, I had not childhood myself.

(2.) What is another way to say “brought up in such an environment”?

**** The usual expression is "reared in such an environment."  You can also say, "Having grown up in such an environment, I have become . . . . "

**** This option is good.  See my comments immediately above.

*** Very good.  You can also say that you became an independent man who faces all difficulties without fear.

*** "Are formally dressed" is good.  However, you cannot just say "wear formally."  There is something missing when you use just those two words.

I will see you on Monday.

**** If you do not name "which" Monday, the meaning is that you are talking about the Monday that is closest to today.  If you were to make this statement on a Sunday, using "next" may be interpreted as 8 days away and NOT the following day.  This phrasing causes great confusion.  You should always specify which date you mean:  I will see you on Monday, March 11.

*** The change MAY make the meaning less clear.  If you make this statement in January, "next April" may be interpreted as being three months later.

*** Finish my work.  "Leave" is by far the best choice.

4.Our offices are at 34 South Street.

*** Yes.

*** BY means in the general area of the door.  AT means directly in front of or beside the
door.  AT is more direct than BY.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt