General Writing and Grammar Help/Had had

Question
Dear Ted,

Is the following sentence grammatically correct? Is OK the use of ‘had had’?

“The computers were sent to the vendor because of the incident our Company had had.”

Thank you,
Leonardo

Answer
Dear Leonardo:

*** "Had had" is the past perfect tense of the verb "to have."  The past perfect tense
is used when you are talking about TWO events, both of which occurred in the past.
The earlier of the two is placed in the past perfect, and the one which is closer to
the present is placed in the simple past.

Your sentence has two past events:  the sending of the computers and the causing incident
at the company.  The causing incident happened further back in the past, so "had had" is
correct.  The sending of the computers happened as a result of the earlier incident, so
"were sent" is placed in the simple past tense.

In short, your sentence is correctly written.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt