General Writing and Grammar Help/Plural Names

Hello Richard,

I was curious how you would spell a name that ends in an 's' if it is plural. The scene i need help in is how to spell 'Travis's' in a sentence like this: He pointed at Travis's left arm.
I am not sure how to spell Travis in the way it is used there.

As always thank you for any help you can give.

Thanks for your question, Owen. I hope you ask more.

First of all, your use of the term "plural" here is incorrect. There are no plurals in the example you gave.

Your example is one of the possessive case. Your spelling ["Travis's left arm"] is correct. You will see other spellings, but the spelling you used is preferred by the Chicago Manual of Style and by me.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Richard Johnson

I can answer any question--usually the same day--on correct English grammar, usage, and (non-fiction) writing style, usually the same day, based on the American practice. All answers are explained, and I encourage follow-up.

I'm a retired editor and a lifelong student of this subject. My library includes a great many works to which I've referred through the years. I currently rely primarily on the sixteenth edition of The Chicago Manual of Style.

For over 30 years I edited the newsletter of my own organization, which had different names but was last known as

BA, Brooklyn College. Advanced studies in economics and political science.

For many years a member of Mensa.