General Writing and Grammar Help/Plural Names

Question
Hello Richard,

I was curious how you would spell a name that ends in an 's' if it is plural. The scene i need help in is how to spell 'Travis's' in a sentence like this: He pointed at Travis's left arm.
I am not sure how to spell Travis in the way it is used there.

As always thank you for any help you can give.

Answer
Thanks for your question, Owen. I hope you ask more.

First of all, your use of the term "plural" here is incorrect. There are no plurals in the example you gave.

Your example is one of the possessive case. Your spelling ["Travis's left arm"] is correct. You will see other spellings, but the spelling you used is preferred by the Chicago Manual of Style and by me.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Richard Johnson